Friday, December 3, 2010

And Now I've Been to Kyoto in the Fall

Aaaand? How was it?
Well, it was beautiful, and crowded. I decided to just take it easy, no worries, just wander around. I made for the Philosopher's Walk, because I'd read about it in my guidebook and wanted from the beginning to get on it. From there I imagined myself sitting in a little tea shop writing letters, looking out on the fall color.

Well.

From 2010_11_23


I took the subway to the station that looked closest to Nanzen-ji, the bottom end of the walking path marked out in the book. I just sort of moseyed in the bright sunlight, enjoying the autumn air. It wasn't too crowded until I actually got to Nanzen-ji temple area.

From 2010_11_23


I followed the aquaduct in the opposite direction of my planned walk for a while...

From 2010_11_23


I found a little park that smelled awesomely like autumn.

From 2010_11_23


Then I saw a little path that had tori gates, marking it as the way to a shrine, so I kept going in that 'wrong' direction.

From 2010_11_23


And it was pretty up there too.

From 2010_11_23


In fact, it was basically the most beautiful autumn weather ever.

From 2010_11_23


From 2010_11_23


And the colors were ridiculous.

From 2010_11_23


It took me a long time to even get to the Philosopher's Way. When I did find it, I walked it, stopping along the way here and there.

From 2010_11_23


By then, though I was pretty tired, and I didn't want to wait in line to get into Ginkaku-ji, so I just went back. I never did sit down in a tea shop to write letters, and I was even a little late meeting Nami-san for dinner!

All in all, I was worn out, but I think I would have regretted it deeply, if I'd missed going to Kyoto in the fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment