Monday, February 1, 2010

Two Kinds of Rain

There are two kinds of rain I have observed since I returned from the US.

The first is Warm Rain. Not to suggest that the rain itself is warm; it is not. But as this type of rain falls, the air temperature is rising. This is the kind of rain that came with the "January thaw" and it has the somewhat unappealing side effect of causing the school building to sweat.

What I mean is, the building, made of stone and concrete and whatever else have you becomes a place of condensation. Everything: the walls, the floors, the mirrors and windows. Everything gets coated with a layer of water because the bones of the building itself are still cold as the air warms.

But I couldn't 'give a care'-- I'll take the warm air that comes with this 'warm rain' and be grateful for it!

Today's rain is not that rain.

Today's rain is the valley-in-fog-all-day, at freezing point, temperatures-drop-throughout-the-day-instead-of-rise-and-peak-at-like-two, kind of rain that can only be summarized by the word shitty. It's "I wore two pairs of pants and two shirts and a sweater and I'm still cold" weather.

I'm trying to convince myself it's "go to Japanese class" weather, but my inner child is insisting that it most certainly is NOT that, and is instead "eat soup, read a book, and go to bed early" weather.

I keep hearing Lewis Black in my head, about the greyest day you've ever seen.. and I feel like it being February first is not a great start to a usually abysmal month, weather-wise..


"Normally in February in Boston and in most of the rest of the country, the weather is grey, rainy grey, sleetgreyraingreysleet, snow grey, every day it just gets greyer and greyer and greyer. You wake up one day and you go 'I'm not comin to work!' Boss goes, 'Why not, you sick?' 'No, it's too grey! I don't know if it's dawn or dusk. I don't even know why the sun bothers to come out.' Then you wake up, and it's the greyest day you've ever seen. And the next day, it's even greyer. And that's usually Valentine's Day and that's the day you look at your wrists and go hey! Maybe I should slit 'em to see color!" - Lewis Black, classic

1 comment: