Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Can you read this kanji?

As part of our "able to" lesson ("Can you ___?" "I can ____.") the textbook has examples of stuff to ask your classmates. Can you ski? Can you swim? I have a workpage from a different book (Planet Eigo) that is covered with such question helpers. One of them is "Can you... read this kanji?" with some ridiculously difficult/useless kanji. It has to be a difficult one, because it if were one of the kanji everyone knows, there would be no point in asking if you could read it.

Given my fairly prevalent illiteracy, it is generally safe to assume that in the case of a textbook presenting a kanji some students won't be able to read, I will also not be able to read it.

But.

This was the kanji.

檸檬

Yeah. Get a load of that. And you know what? When I looked at it, my jaw dropped. Because. I can read this kanji.

Hahahaha. Because it's the kanji for lemon. Most of the time, they just write レモン on things. As, of course, do I when I write my name. But this one time, one of my Salamander students gave me a cool placard with my name in kanji. I always thought it was weird to imagine that we 'ferners' could have our names done in kanji, but I realized that my name lends itself rather easily. "Lemon" is both the meaning and pronunciation of that kanji (as far as I know..) So when I made an example for the 3rd years (on Monday) of how to make a name poem, I used my "kanji name" as well as my English spelling (it was a name acrostic, which had sometimes hilarious results).

Which means I can read this kanji.

No comments:

Post a Comment